Saturday, 22 May 2010

NEFS

Goal 34: To finish and complete my degree


The sun is shining and I am inside studying :(

Current block is on managing sustainable development. One of the models reminded me of a blog: http://www.worldnews.blog-city.com/, I think I came across through a comment left by the author on a BBC online article.

I found the blog quite dense and hard going but am still fascinated by what I understand to be the authors main argument: Most econonomic theory for the last thousand years or longer is fundamentally flawed...

The author of the blog does propose a 'better' system: NEFS (Net Export Financial System) which I interpret to mean, accept that money is an illusion and create it as and when neccessary to stimulate the economy.(If you have a more accurate interpretation, I would appreciate your view :)

I seem to recall the Stainless Steel Rat being flumoxed by a similar system, but that's another story...

2 comments:

  1. Don't know about the Stainless Steel Rat.

    I know an economist who's a member of the Green Party (or at least he used to be - I don't know if he still is). He thinks that continual economic growth is environmentally unsustainable and we should be trying to move to a steady state economy. I know nothing about economic theory, but he's a bright lad and I think that probably makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got emailed this today by TIDAL (Trade Injustice Debt Action Leeds):
    http://steadystate.org/leeds2010/

    It's a conference, in 3 weeks time at Leeds Met University, all about the steady state economy!

    Sounds interesting, but heavy going - I have 4 days to decide whether I want to go to it, before the price goes up from £30 to £50!

    ReplyDelete