Thursday, 20 May 2010

The Plan

Goal 0: Keep working

I'm on the train, on my way to work. I am tired after staying up too late again trying to install An evaluation edition of Business Objects. I find tiredness easier to cope with than stress, such as Being stressed last month trying to secure a new contract.

I was successful and all being well, this contract should last till August. But, after my last contract wasd extended again and again, it was a shock to be out of work, eventually signing on and facing up to the possibility it could be some time.

As one does during moments of crisis, I eventually formulated a cunning plan. Fortunately I never had the chance to implement it but I'm determined to make some progress towards it this month.

Quite simply, I'm planning to develop my own test database system with Business Objects reporting environment and post a few white papers or how to documents on my web site to demonstrate my skills.

This has mainly been prompted by feedback from one interview where I was told I came across really well but just didn't have enough experience. Red rag meets stubborn bull time :)

They were right, by the way. I knew, during the interview, that I didn't have enough experience. As you would expect, we had a very open discussion about it. But, the fact is, like many people, I excel in gaining experience once I'm in a role. The only problem with Business Objects (you'll understand why I don't use the acronym) is its relative inaccessability to anyone not already using it.

This has been my experience over the last few weeks trying to install an evaluation version. To be fair to SAP, my lack of knowledge of their wider product suite slowed me down. It did not help though when numerous product keys emailed by SAP failed to open the software!

Some helpful guys on their forum sorted this out though and last night the install worked.

Next step, design a system to report on.

Hopefully this will all be worth it next time I'm looking for a new contract!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! Sounds like a good idea - the sort of thing you hope your employers WILL find when they start googling your name! Of course if they don't though, you can always point them in the right direction!

    As an afterthought though - make sure it's in good shape before you put it up there. Better that they don't know what you can do, than see what you've done and thing it's rubbish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, meant "prospective employers" (first sentence) and "think" not "thing" (last sentence).

    I'm usually better at proof-reading what I've written - think I'm getting tired!

    ReplyDelete