Tuesday, 11 May 2010

Viable Systems Model

Goal 34: To finish and complete my degree

I've just submitted my third TMA of my current Open University course. It is a huge relief to have handed this in on time. There are five blocks of course material in this course: T306 Managing complexity: a systems approach. Five TMA's directly related one to each block and two further TMA's as a project. Then a final exam in October...

I was not looking forward to this Block or TMA at all. Despite being out of work this month, I have filled my time with job hunting and found everything else rather difficult to concentrate on. Strangely enough though, I found having to rush to read the middle section of this block quite helpful.

As part of looking at viable systems, the course dicusses the role of authority and power in relation to autonomy. Having worked for some organizations where I was told I had autonomy, and then having had that autonomy taken away, it was an interesting read.

It became more interesting when it moved onto criticism and blame verses feedback. I know that I can be quite critical, even though I dislike criticism myself, and it was good to see some methods that can be used to break a cycle of criticism.

All in all, I had to force myself to stop reflecting and keep reading which in the end gave me a better overview than I might have had.

I start work tomorrow on a three month contract. I suspect that the next three months will be easier despite having less time, but watch this space...

2 comments: