Saturday, 3 September 2011

National Novel Writing Month - I've signed up, have you?

I didn't want to sign up for NaNoWriMo last year as I thought it would distract from writing my novel. As it was, I made no progress whatsoever on Fallen Warriors during November and while I had intended taking it up again last month (August) I have only written a few words.

If you haven't heard of National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo - yeah, I know, but it has kind of grown on me...) the aim is very simple - write a novel of 50,000 words during the month of November.

I calculate that I will need to write 2273 words every week day to achieve this. I'm not committing any weekends!

I have several novels in progress and several more that I've never begun so it should be easy enough to choose one.

I've signed up on impulse. My user name is Frozbie if you want to check out my progress.  A fellow Creative Writing student just reminded me it is approaching. I am unsure if it is a good idea - Fallen Warriors needs to become my top priority but there are a few family things I've committed to first. Somehow I need to follow the NaNoWriMo approach and just bash out the rest of the novel, weaving in the sections I've already written.

Worst case scenario - I actually do manage to write a short 50,000 word novel in November. If I can achieve that then I must be able to write the final 50,000 words of Fallen Warriors.

Best case - I write something - that with a few rewrites and edits - I can actually publish as an ebook. That would be worth taking up all of my free time for.

I've signed up for NaNoWriMo, have you?

No comments:

Post a Comment