Friday, 21 October 2011

Grinding The Crack

Goal 75: Successfully and Safely parachute jump

While I've said I may leave this goal till last, that was until a friend showed me this clip yesterday: Jeb Corliss - Grinding The Crack



I have no plan and no targets for this but at some point I want to try para-gliding and work my way up to jumping off a really tall mountain...

The stunning visuals in the above clip are tempered by this article. The section on fatalities and their causes especially...

Still, I have always wanted to fly... (Goal number 5)

3 comments:

  1. I know someone who does this for a hobby. He wouldn't fly that close though! Base jumping is a dangerous game.

    I've done a tandem sky dive - not quite the same thing though! I don't think I'd do a base jump.

    According to that article you need to have done at least 50 base jumps before you even consider a wing-suit jump, which sounds reasonable to me. That's 50 quite good chances of dying...!

    The guy I mentioned - I think at last count he'd lost 13 friends to this sport...! It doesn't seem to have put him off so far, but he does try to be very careful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still get scared letting go of a hold five metres up at the climbing wall... But base jumping with a wing suit really appeals to me.

    Costs an absolute fortune though so I expect it will be a while yet before I can afford to risk it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah - it's not just the price though, it's a way of life.

    You'd need to get in with the other base jumpers and put some serious hours in. I get the impression it's quite a tight-knit community.

    ReplyDelete