Thursday, 13 October 2011

Using my head

I frequently take on too much. The title of this blog says it all: my 100 goals. I'm not pro-actively trying to achieve them all at once but sometimes I wonder if having so many goals does just sum up my character as having bigger dreams than my ability to make them happen.

Having completed my degree my next major goal is to finish a novel. Fallen Warriors was going to be top priority but I wasn't getting anywhere; wasn't even writing until I signed up for NaNoWriMo. Now my next major goal is completing NaNo: writing a new 50,000 word novel in November.

Along with that our family life has radically altered with my wife starting work again and adjusting my working pattern so I can drop our children off at school. It means I am working later; also that I am helping out more round the house.

It does not seem like the best time to be learning a new language!

Yet I'm determined to stick it out. Although it is a while since I last read it, Tony Buzan implies in Use Your Head that as people, we benefit from a rounded approach to learning and activities:

"...when people were encouraged to develop a mental area they had previously considered weak, this development, rather than detracting from other areas, seemed to produce a synergetic effect in which all areas of mental performance improved." Buzan, T. (1991) Use your head, page 17

Sleep and exercise are two areas I really need to work on over the next three weeks in preparation for NaNoWriMo. I need a plan.

How do you ensure you can achieve all you are capable of?

No comments:

Post a Comment