Thursday, 6 October 2011

What NaNoWriMo is doing for me

Back in 2009 when I first started regular writing towards Fallen Warriors I was conscious I had little time. Planning another three years of study and work and family commitments all at the same time: 100 words a day seemed both reasonable and achievable.

But it was slow. Painfully slow. Okay, I wrote more when I could but I also consciously limited myself and forced myself to set writing as a low priority.

When I began struggling with the plot I stopped writing regularly and eventually stopped altogether.

I still plan to complete that novel but right now I'm focused on getting ready for November. NaNoWriMo has inspired me; has revitalised me as a writer. Two months ago I wasn't writing anything and now most days - I had a day off yesterday - I am turning out between 500 and 700 words in under 45 minutes. I have twice written my daily target for November of 2,300 words in two hours.

Orson Scott Card writes that a full time writer can discipline themselves to write 5,000 words a day and I am now starting to believe that is something I can attain to.

I love playing with the figures. If, after NaNo, I can discipline myself to write 1000 words a day - which now seems a highly realistic goal: to write for an hour a day and achieve 1000 words - then I could theoretically complete two 100K novels a year.

Okay I still need to factor in time for editing them so these would only be first drafts but that discipline seems like a worthwhile goal to aim for...

What is NaNoWriMo doing for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment