Wednesday, 9 November 2011

Saying sorry to my bank

I admit it - I get things wrong. I make mistakes; I forget.

I forgot to pay my credit card bill last month. My online bank wrote to me after the deadline for paying was past to advise me - again - that I needed to pay.

I couldn't believe it. I went online, looked at the statement and saw a charge of £12 and interest of £6. Not a huge amount of money but things have been tight with a lot of large expenses recently for our roof and trying to pull money together for solar panels.

I thought the bank had made a mistake. I wrote an angry letter demanding a refund. They were very polite and gracious. They asked in response if their normal email reminder could have been filed in junk mail, or if I'd changed my email settings recently.

I had reformatted my laptop and restored my email but I didn't believe that I had lost any emails. Turned out that the reminder email was there - buried inbetween a horrendous pile of junk mail in my inbox. All of it unread. The result of a stressful few weeks when dealing with email was the last thing on my mind.

I got it wrong.

I ate my humble pie and wrote an apology to the bank. I was rude. I had falsely accused them. It was tempting just to try and forget about it but that would have eaten away at me. I expect the companies I deal with to act professionally and admit when they have made mistakes. I have a responsibility to do the same.

NaNoWriMo update:
Todays word count: 2,382
Total words: 17,895

No comments:

Post a Comment