Wednesday, 14 December 2011

Guest post: StaceyM


Hi - I’m Stacey, a writing buddy of Mark’s from Authonomy and NaNoWriMo. Mark asked me to write a piece for his blog and I’ve leapt at the chance.

I love goals. Goals get me out of bed on dark December mornings (today being one of them); goals get the housework done; goals get me through each day in nice bite-sized chunks of manageability.

You see - from April 2008 to October 2010, I was a patient in a psychiatric hospital. I was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder and, for most of my time in hospital, I had no goals. That’s a lie, my goal was to kill myself because I couldn’t see any purpose in continuing with life as it stood. A life without goals - not a pretty place to be.

From the age of 8, I loved writing stories, and it was my goal to write a book. At the age of 10/11, I did just that (30 pages of drivel half-plagiarised from the books I read at that time). Somewhere along the way, my goal of being a famous author turned into a dream and nothing more. We forget dreams after a while.

At the start of 2010, I’d had enough of a goal-less life and I dug out a notebook and pen and started scribbling. I suffered a few set-backs but I made it out of hospital and I scrimped and saved in order to buy myself a laptop (I’m one of those writers who does best with a keyboard instead of a pen). My goal for 2011 was to finally write that book. Then I heard about NaNoWriMo and set myself a deadline of October to finish Book 1, so I could write Book 2 in November.

My NaNovel sucks. I love to read chick-lit but I’ve learnt it’s not my writing style. I won’t scrap my 50953 words, but I will re-write the whole thing again at some point. Book 1 (Hospital Corners), however, well that’s a different story. My current goal is to complete the second draft by Christmas. By the end of 2012, it’s my goal to have published the book in some form or another. It might be “just” an e-book, but it will be out there, proving that goals are just dreams that need waking up.

Mark says: You can check out Stacey's blog here: The part-time writer I haven't been following her blog - we only 'met' during NaNo - but I'm now enjoying reading her posts and have bookmarked Hospital Corners on Authonomy to check out.

It is great to meet someone who is further along the road than I am - a couple of books written and now editing/rewriting one - and who has a clear goal and plan. Go Stacey!

No comments:

Post a Comment