Monday, 16 January 2012

Blue Monday


"It's the most wonderful time of the year..." apparently briskly followed by the most depressing...

The following was posted on the Intranet site at work last week:

"Taking into account weather (W), debt (d), time since Christmas (T), time since failing our new year’s resolutions (Q), low motivational levels (M) and the feeling of a need to take action (Na), a former Cardiff University academic used the above formula to calculate that Monday 16th January is the most depressing day of the year. The day has been commonly called Blue Monday, and it's approaching fast. Perhaps you're already feeling its effects. Are you grumpy, tired and lacking in motivation as the new year yawns out before you?"

Uh, that would be a yes...

I quite enjoy the idea of January but the reality is I'm often far lower than I would like to admit. I don't like winter. November is often a difficult month for me. December I'm far to busy getting stressed in the lead up to Christmas to have time to feel low. Then in January I suspect I hit rock bottom.

I wrote down some goals for 2012 at the beginning of January but haven't even felt like blogging about them. Looking at the formula above, I'm hitting high on all those negatives... :(

I find it ironic that the song line I started this post with sums up my expectation and hope for this time of year and yet for myself and others I know, it often is one of the worst times.

Still, it ain't all that bad. Ditching New Year's Resolutions in favour of making goals has been far more rewarding over the last couple of years. I find it easier to return to working on a goal after a period of demotivation than I ever did with a resolution. I always used to feel Resolutions were somewhat forced upon us. An external expectation we would try harder, be better. A stubborn rebellious streak inside always used to refuse to co-operate with that making the chance of achieving those Resolutions slim.

But I feel that my goals are my friends. I chose them, at a time I wanted to. They are things that I want to achieve, the pressure is all internal. I might externalise that pressure by telling people and blogging about the goals but they are still mine. If I fail to work on them for a time, I don't feel bad about trying again later in the year.

Have you any goals for 2012? How are you coping with the winter blues?

No comments:

Post a Comment