Saturday, 24 March 2012

The 12 day working week

Saturday. I've just finished my second twelve day working week this month. I'm not enjoying it.

I have this weekend off and then I start the third 12 day week in a row.

Why am I doing this? I don't really know. In theory I'm working weekends because we are nearing the end of a major IT project and everyone - including me - wants the project to succeed.

That's the theory.

The reality is I do want the project to succeed but I wasn't convinced before we started this last push that working 12 days in a stretch was a good idea.

There's a reason God gave us one day off in seven. Any time I spend a weekend on a DIY project I regret it the following week.

Apparently the Soviet Union experimented with 5 and 6 day weeks; the French experimented with a 10 day week for several years; Mayans appear to have had a 20 day week.

I'm sure I've read several stories where different working weeks have been proposed. A quick search turned up Colin Walls blog where he proposes an 8 day week

In my late teens I worked shifts and essentially worked a ten day week for a couple of years: five days of 12 hour shifts and then five days off. I still think that was a pretty good system though the first couple of days after my shifts ended I wasn't good for much.

I'm fairly sure I would have been more productive working a series of six day weeks over the past month but it was not to be.

How do you cope with changes to your working pattern?

No comments:

Post a Comment