Monday, 6 August 2012

9 Out of 10 Climbers Make the Same Mistakes

I know I do!

One of my climbing partners recommended this book: 9 Out of 10 Climbers Make the Same Mistakes.

The book identifies that there are several beliefs and assumptions that climbers - including myself - have about what is holding them back and what they need to do to improve.

Unfortunately, those beliefs and assumptions are often flat out wrong.

I read 9 Out of 10 Climbers last year and began to apply some of Dave Macleod's suggestions. It did help. The only problem was I didn't keep climbing regularly and so despite my theory improving, it hasn't had a chance to move from theory to belief.

Last Thursday when I went climbing I found myself facing my biggest problem again - fear!

What am I afraid of? Turns out there are a few things: falling; looking a fool; falling; looking weak in front of my climbing partners (and complete strangers...); falling...

Did you notice something about that list?

I used to think I had a fear of heights. It wasn't strictly correct. I had a natural and completely sensible fear of falling and injuring myself in some terrible way. Not an ideal starting ground for climbing a cliff - even an artificial indoor one!

Macleod suggests building up your resistance to fear of falling by practicising it in a safe environment and continuing the practicising until it is a natural part of your training routine. After last Thursday I know I need to build in more falling practice.

Are there fears that are holding you back from achieving your goals?

There are likely to be ways you can overcome those fears, even sometimes use them to improve your performance. Try and identify any fears you have and begin researching how other people have dealt with or overcome their fears.

No comments:

Post a Comment