Wednesday, 8 August 2012

Entangled

Have you seen the kids movie - Tangled?

[Spoiler Alert! :)]

I didn't overly rate it. Compared to some children's movies with multi layered humour and - dare I say - gripping story lines, I found it "so fluffy I could die!" And not in a good way... ;)

Yet I was struck by one scene when the heroine is faced with the prospect of achieving her lifelong dream. All of a sudden she backs away. What if it is not all she hoped for? What will she live for now?

"Rapunzel: I've been looking out of a window for eighteen years, dreaming about what I might feel like when those lights rise in the sky. What if it's not everything I dreamed it would be?

Flynn Rider: It will be.

Rapunzel: And what if it is? What do I do then?

Flynn Rider: Well,that's the good part I guess. You get to go find a new dream"

The really fascinating twist for me in this exchange is where Rapunzel reveals she is just as afraid of achieving her dream as she is of not achieving it. Both fears are holding her back.

In the end, I found this fluffy, girly (with a frying pan) [Okay, I quite enjoyed the frying pan scenes...] movie to be quite profound. I've experienced both these fears but hadn't consciously thought about the second until I saw Tangled.

Have you ever found yourself unconsciously backing away from achieving your dreams or goals?

Flynn's advice on facing one's fears seems as practical and grounded as any I've heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment