Thursday, 2 August 2012

Plans, pain and perseverance

Day two

While you don't need a plan to get started, once you are moving a plan will help you keep focused. You are much more likely to achieve your goals if you clarify what you want to achieve and then break that down into manageable daily tasks.

100 Ways To Motivate Yourself is a book I keep returning to as it is full of simple and yet highly effective ways to both help you get started and to keep you on track.

Make a schedule but keep it simple to start with. Every day you achieve that days goal will add to your internal conviction the larger goal can be achieved.

I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to starting easy and building up. I'll push myself too hard and run out of energy or motivation. I was worried on Sunday when I went for a run. Last year I bust up my feet by cycling to work with no preparation and trainers that weren't protecting my feet. It left me having to hobble around for weeks after.

I started to feel a pain in my right foot (which was worst affected last year) after fifteen minutes and so eased off. I decided to switch to cycling tonight and tracked this route:

I found this tough going and while I didn't feel the same pain in my right foot, it feels weak.

I can't afford to risk injuring myself. But I do need to develop a habit of regular exercise. Enough to build up my stamina to a point where I can push myself harder every now and then without feeling like I'm starting from scratch each time.

I finished reading Paula Radcliffe's How to Run today. It is an inspiring read and relevant to anyone who wants to achieve their goals. In fact, reading the first chapter I couldn't believe how goal focused the book was but considering the success Paula has had in her running career it makes perfect sense.

If she was my coach I am sure she'd already be telling me to scale back my training to avoid injury and aim to enjoy the process of training rather than risking everything for a deadline that is too short.

Another way I set myself up for failure is taking on too many different goals at the same time. Just because you have 100 goals does not mean you have to complete them all at the same time.

Are any of your goals complimentary? If so, link them together. I'm able to link my goal of completing a 10K with my climbing goal because I know my stamina holds me back when climbing.

Over the next few days consider what goals you want to achieve or have made significant progress towards. Select a mixture of easy and harder goals if you feel - honestly - they are achievable.

If you only want to tackle one goal in the next hundred days that is fantastic! Focus on that one goal and begin to develop a daily plan to keep you making progress.

You can achieve your goal or goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment