Friday, 31 August 2012

SMART goal setting

While at college we were given a handout on SMART goal setting:

Goals should be:

S = Specific
M = Measurable
A = Attainable/achievable
R = Results oriented/realistic
T = Time constrained

If you are joining me on the 100 days 100 goals quest you'll find it difficult, perhaps even overwhelming to apply the above rules to each and every goal.

But, by selecting a few goals and applying these rules, you can begin to plan out and see how they can be achieved.

One of my current key goals is to complete a 10K run. Lets apply the above rules:

S = Specific - I am going to complete a 10 Kilometer run
M = Measurable - I have entered in a race and will be timed. I've measured my progress by driving my training routes and recording distances. Also timing myself and using a GPS tracker on my phone. (Not always as reliable as I would have liked...)
A = Attainable/achievable - I've read and asked for advice from experienced runners and believe I've given myself enough time for training - six weeks. More would have been better but for this initial goal I'm not setting a fast time. I've aimed for 60-75 minutes which is achieveable while not being terribly fast
R = Results oriented/realistic - Eight weeks of training would have been better but six weeks has so far proved to be sufficient for myself. I'm aiming to continue training after and set myself a goal to achieve another 10K next year in a faster time.
T = Time constrained - I have six weeks to achieve the goal and am on track.

When I wrote this goal several years ago I had never run more than 5K. When I signed up for the 10K five weeks ago I had only a vague idea about what I was doing. But I researched and applied what I learned.

You don't need to know it all before you start - just be willing to review your progress on a regular basis (I recommend once a week) and keep working on your plan.

Ask questions. Ask for advice and help. Research. Decide you are going to learn everything you need to know to achieve your goal. Be SMART!

No comments:

Post a Comment