Thursday, 9 August 2012

Someday...

"Someday. That's a dangerous word. It's really just a code for 'never'."

I watched Knight and Day again recently and was struck by this quote by character Roy Miller.

I have a lot of somedays. Pretty much every one of my 100 goals was a someday when I wrote the list. Someday I'm going to write that novel, someday I'm going to learn Spanish, someday...

I don't want to live for someday. I want to live now, enjoy now. I want to work towards my goals now and enjoy the fact I'm doing it; it's not just someday, okay sure - someday I hope to achieve the goal but I'm actually enjoying the progress.

I think I'm wired to get more out of working towards a goal than actually achieving it. There's a couple of dangers if that is true. First off - there is no real incentive to make progress. Procrastination becomes my best friend since it maximises the time I spend working towards the goal. Then a potentially greater danger comes when I actually achieve or am close to achieving the goal as I posted yesterday.

This morning when my alarm went off at Six was a low point when I seriously considered putting off running till 'someday'... I don't enjoy this part of training but once I got out there, got warmed up, the sky is always so much lighter in the early morning. Why wouldn't I want to get out there and enjoy it?

Okay, just under two Kilometers into my current route there is a long round hill which always kills me but if I put off running that till 'someday'.. then when will I run up it?

Not yet... I had a veeerry slow jog... Still I kept going for 5K this morning without stopping to walk and that feels pretty good. Route below:



What 'somedays' do you have that really you want to make a today?

No comments:

Post a Comment