Saturday, 4 August 2012

Think longer term

Day four

If you don't have experience of working on longer projects, 100 days might seem like a long time.

Whether you have experience of working towards long term goals or not, an issue I often find is that once the deadline has been reached or the project is completed, the motivation to continue is lost.

In studying for college and then a degree I've had to stop studying between courses as my family had forgotten who I was. Then there were the practical DIY/maintenance jobs that just could not be postponed any longer.

Soon, whatever habit I had begun to develop is lost: a natural reset button. The habit of working till One in the morning on an assignment is not one I want to continue, but what about the beneficial habit of continual self improvement? What if I can set aside a couple of hours each week to continue to study in an area that interests me?

You've set your goal(s) for the next 100 days. What do you want to happen after?

If your goal is a one time objective then celebrating your achievement might be all you need to do. For myself, I'm aware that I want to use these hundred days to form habits that will continue the rest of my life.

My goal is to complete a 10K but I don't want this to be once only. Due to other commitments I think aiming to complete a weekly 5K run will be a good habit to develop. This should enable me to maintain my stamina and allow me to tell if weekly is sufficient or I need to make more time.

I'm now starting to consider aiming to work up to be able to run 10K on a monthly basis. A friend was telling me about his experience of running half marathons (roughly 20K.) It took him a year to work up to that but the benefits for him were tremendous in terms of increased energy levels and concentration.

Writing is my passion and I want to build a routine that allows me to write daily.

Use these 100 days to develop daily habits that are sustainable longer term. If you are struggling now or over the next weeks, decide whether this is just an obstacle you need to overcome OR if your daily tasks are genuinely ones you can sustain long term.

Use this time to experiment with daily and weekly progress. Read and research all you can around and about the goals you want to achieve. Ask others for advice.

It will be wonderful for you to achieve and make progress towards your goals over these hundred days. Even better if you can build habits that allow you to continue to apply what you've learnt for the rest of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment