Thursday, 13 September 2012

A load of Trollope

I've been talking to colleagues about my novel and today one asked if I knew anything about Anthony Trollope.
   
I didn't but he's become very intriguing. Apparently he used to get up early each morning and write for a couple of hours before leaving for work.
   
I did this last November during NaNoWriMo and found it a good way to write. Not one I've been able to sustain though. I was exhausted when November ended.
   
Some quick Googling turned up the following quotes:
   
"No author has been more methodical. He worked out schemes, set himself time-schedules, and rigidly adhered to them."

http://www.victorianweb.org/authors/trollope/bio.html

[From British Authors of the Nineteenth Century, pp. 629-31]

Also:
   
"Though Trollope had decided to become a novelist, he had accomplished very little writing during his first three years in Ireland. At the time of his marriage, he had only written the first of three volumes of his first novel, The Macdermots of Ballycloran. Within a year of his marriage, he finished that work.

Trollope began writing on the numerous long train trips around Ireland he had to take to carry out his postal duties. Setting very firm goals about how much he would write each day, he eventually became one of the most prolific writers of all time."
   
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Trollope
   
I'm extremely conscious that days are passing by and I've not started editing my novel. Yet here I am on the train writing for my blog. I need to be clearer about my priorities for the rest of these 100 days.
   
I think I need to limit my blog posts to brief summaries of progress editing the novel. It may be boring but I'd rather end the 100 days having completed fifty hours of editing than having fifty blog posts to my name.
   
If I find I've time to post more I will otherwise feel free to ask me why I'm not editing!
   
I need a good dose of Trollope!

No comments:

Post a Comment