Tuesday, 4 September 2012

A novel plan

A few weeks ago, hung-over following a 50th birthday party and a leaving do for a former colleague, I wasn't able to sleep.

I don't recommend drinking as a source of inspiration but after staring at the ceiling for several hours my brain must finally have had enough and forced itself to clunk away.

Instead of counting sheep I began calculating days. Specifically, days required to rewrite my novel.

I won't take you through the tortuous process of calculation but I ended up with the following plan:
  • In five months of four weeks - total of twenty weeks...
  • I can rewrite/edit/write minimum of 5,000 words each week.
  • Working Monday through Saturday – I expect I will only be able to spend an hour every other day
  • I will be able to complete a redraft of my novel (and maybe even expand it from its current 50,000 words)
  • My goal is to complete the second draft of my novel before February 2013.
I've been quietly re-reading my novel over the last couple of weeks and working on the plot from the main character perspectives. I'm conscious I will not have a lot of time to both edit and blog - indeed, this post is taking me away from time I could spend editing! So, I'm going to put the novel first, blog second and aim to update the blog at the end of each day rather than the beginning as I've been doing the last month.

I've had similar plans over the years which have not ended well. It will be interesting to see whether the focus of 100 days and 100 goals combined with regular exercise will prove to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment