Monday, 1 October 2012

Rewarding success with Dredd 3D

Editing my novel is going to be a long process. To give myself an incentive to keep going I've decided to reward myself for each 5,000 word milestone reached.

My reward for last weeks milestone: the new Judge Dredd movie: Dredd in 3D!

I was never a die hard fan of the 2000 AD comic strip. I couldn't afford to get the comic on a regular basis but when I did I enjoyed the black and white viewpoint of Dredd. Justice has always been important to me. There is something very appealing about a crystal clear system with no delays, no doubt and instant justice. Of course, the brutal reality of Judge Dredd's Mega City One would be far less appealing in real life. No appeals, no mercy.

The world of Mega City One is a gritty, real future, similar to Battlestar Galactica in it's lack of gloss.

I'd heard the 3D was worth it just for the Slo-mo sequences and they weren't kidding! Despite several Slo-mo scenes potentially glamourising the violence, they were beautiful to watch. I don't know if this is a problem. I feel that as war and combat are horrific, depictions should also be horrific.

The 3D also worked really well in the close combat scenes in the hallways. The only other (mostly) non animated 3D I've seen is Avatar and I struggled with that - frequently unsure where to focus on in a huge Imax theatre watching a forest battle. The depth given to Dredd did add to the experience.

Judge Anderson's character was well written and acted. The whole interplay between her and Dredd seemed true to the comic from what I remember.

If anything, the Dredd of the movie was better than the comic, displaying mercy and recognising a higher law at key scenes. It made it easier to care about a character who frequently comes across as cold and heartless.

If you've seen Dredd, what did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment