Sunday, 16 June 2013

Getting Political with IF

There is enough food for everyone... IF

IF what?

I've been aware of the IF campaign for a few months. Agreed with the aims, signed their petition and liked them on Facebook. That's enough, right?

Well, it was until a friend invited me to their rally down in London, timed to coincide with the G8 summit. I couldn't go to London but looking into it - weeks and weeks after the first invite - I found they were holding a rally the week following in Belfast. Laying on buses from Glasgow and everything...

But I'm starting the story too late...

At the beginning of the year I posted a list of my goals for 2013. I spent time thinking what I wanted to achieve and wrote down a list of goals that I thought could be reasonably planned out and achieved within the year. Except I didn't write everything down.

I had a secret goal. I had been becoming more and more aware that our Government was failing us badly. I kept finding blogs and articles about the amount of debt we owe  - now way past One Trillion Pounds! (And that doesn't even cover the money our Government has committed to spend that they leave out of the Budget...)

Our Westminster and Scottish Governments were planning to make radical changes to the definition of marriage without any mandate or consensus. I posted my response to the Scottish Consultation here.

But I agreed with my wife at the beginning of the year that three goals were enough... Of course even that I couldn't do, lumping two separate and distinct goals together as a "family goal."

I'm an addict... Addicted to Goals and setting Goals...;)

So, I embarked on a year where my secret goal - to get more involved with politics - became an open secret to anyone who has followed this blog or my twitter feed: @my100goals

In a way, politics has been there from the beginning of my 100 goals journey:
  • Goal 2: To change and influence people through my writing
  • Goal 64: To be the change I want to see happen
  • Goal 66: To be a confident and well received public speaker
  • Goal 89: To change laws for the better
I've been able to work towards all of these goals while exploring what I can do in response to what I see around me.

The IF Campaign coalesces solutions to many problems you'll be aware of round the world:

Aid - Enough Food For Everyone IF we give enough aid to stop children dying from hunger and help the poorest families feed themselves.

Tax - Enough Food For Everyone IF governments stop big companies dodging tax in poor countries.

Land - Enough Food For Everyone IF we stop poor farmers being forced off their land and grow crops to feed people, not fuel cars.

Transparency - Enough Food For Everyone IF governments and big companies are honest and open about their actions that stop people getting enough food.

If you care about these issues then please sign their petition at http://enoughfoodif.org/home. Consider writing to your MP and MSP. Perhaps you feel as I did that one person getting involved isn't going to make a difference? My experience is that together, we can make a change!

No comments:

Post a Comment