Wednesday, 1 January 2014

Salvador Dali Muffins

I had a hankering to bake last night. A few weeks ago I'd found a recipe for Butternut squash muffins by Jamie Oliver. They turned out pretty tasty.

I wanted to end the year doing something creative and I'd bought a fancy new muffin tray over Christmas and wanted to try it out. It has a funnel in each muffin base to speed the cooking and allows you to bake muffins you can turn over and fill with cream or some other filling. I'm thinking volcano muffins!

Also, I'd bought a butternut squash and was determined to use it!

Unfortunately I didn't grease my new tray sufficiently well and so I'm breakfasting on muffin crumbs. However you can get about 48 small muffins from one butternet squash and using the standard tray and muffin cases I was able to bake quite a few that turned out okay.

Well, okay apart from those cases I overfilled before placing in the oven (I can hear my daughter now: "It's pronounced oven, Dad! Not oven..." Eyes roll. Shakes head. How do you pronounce oven?)

Twenty minutes or so later I had a batch of Salvador Dali muffins:

They may look like the warped creation of a twisted mind but they taste just as good as the crumbs I'm eating for breakfast and as the ones whose cases I didn't overfill:


And for those expert bakers out there, that first picture... I know, that's not a muffin tray. I was too impatient and press ganged an ordinary cake tray. If you want to see a picture of my new fangled vented funnel tray - one that's not got deep baked muffin all over it - check out this one on Amazon:


And that's all for now. Happy New Year to one and all! May you all enjoy working towards and achieving your goals this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment