Saturday, 8 February 2014

Free eBook promotion now ended

My five day marketing plan has now ended. From Monday to Friday last week I gave away copies of my first eBook: 10 Plumbing Tips. I'd added in a sample of my newest eBook: Finish The Job! in the hope this would result in follow through purchases.

Was it worth it?

Only time will tell.

It's been an interesting experiment in self publishing though.

I did substantially more marketing for my second eBook than my first. I wrote to a local radio station and my local newspaper asking if their listeners and readers would be interested in a free eBook. I got no reply from either of them. I'm going to have to follow up on that. Ask what they would be interested in: as broadcasters and publishers; find out how better to frame my offer.

I wrote to most of the suppliers we bought our plumbing supplies from offering a free copy of my new book. One supplier accepted the offer and wrote back to say he'd enjoyed it. Another didn't want a free copy.

I also wrote to a couple of the charities mentioned in Finish The Job! One of these wrote back and were even kind enough to place a review on Amazon for the first book.

I sent an email to some of my colleagues at work. Posted a couple of times on a forum I frequent. I sent a few tweets out but got no retweets that I could see.

All in all, I didn't do a lot of marketing. I'm conscious that both books are very short and very much an experiment. I didn't want to waste time promoting something that may never sell well.

However, at least 10 Plumbing Tips may be widely read...

Over the course of the week 716 eBooks were given away worldwide through Amazon.

That's 716 people who may at some point in the future go on to purchase Finish The Job!

The statistics on that give away are fascinating. All my promotion was done in the UK (apart from my blog which isn't all that widely read...)

On day one I checked how many copies were being downloaded fairly frequently. It looked like 10 copies were being downloaded every hour in the US. By 7AM the next morning I could see that had been the case:


The downloads tailed off after that but by the end of the week I still had given away 659 copies in the US.

The bulk of the rest were in the UK, then Canada, Germany, India and one copy each in Italy, Spain and France.


During the week I bought and read an eBook: Going Global - How to sell your ebook in the German Market. The book contains some valuable advice on selling English language books in the German market. While the links to review sites and companies are solely relevant to Germany, the advice in the book is applicable worldwide. I'm going to use the advice when I release my next eBook later in the year.

I've only sold two copies of Finish The Job! since I released it. Both of those were to colleagues!

For an experiment it has been a success as far as learning goes but a failure in terms of making money. I realised fairly quickly that my ambition to gain a 70% royalty would put off potential buyers and dropped the price to £0.99.

Whether I sell more copies or not, I'm glad I wrote and published Finish The Job! Having started the story in 10 Plumbing Tips, I wanted to complete it. My ultimate goal is to complete and publish my novel and to make money from my writing. The more I can learn now, hopefully the easier that will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment