Saturday, 1 February 2014

Oops I... accidentally published another book

Apparently Amazon doesn't allow publishing in advance. I had assumed - a word I'm really starting to hate - that because in traditional publishing it is quite common to set an advance publication date, it would also be possible using Amazon KDP.

Not so. (However, if I just haven't discovered how yet and there's a KDP expert out there, do let me know!)

After a mad week of final editing and formatting, my intention was to set a release date mid February and do some advance marketing.

Quite late on Thursday evening I completed the book description on Amazon KDP and found that I could only set a publish date for that day. I assumed (hisss) that I would have a chance later on to change that but no, pressing submit is like fire and forget. The book was going to be published no matter what I did.

My second book Finish The Job! has now been available on Amazon since early Friday morning (31st January 2014):


It actually worked to my advantage. I'd been meaning to update my first book to include a preview of the second and apply some of the learnings I'd made while working on the second book.

I've renamed and re-branded my first book to: 10 Plumbing Tips. Now book one of "The shower room saga" ;) If you can't have a laugh with this writing and publishing business then what is the point!


Having actually spent some time reading the terms and conditions on Amazon KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing) I now realise the reason my 99p eBook was being sold for £1.02 was because VAT is not included in the price I set. You have to add 3% (or rather deduct 3%) for books sold in Europe.


I chose not to publish Finish The Job! through KDP Select as it ties me into only selling through Amazon and I want to explore publishing through Nook and other outlets. But 10 Plumbing Tips is still tied into KDP Select which means I can offer it for free for five days - from 3rd to 7th February 2014!

I initially set the price of Finish The Job! at £1.99 which allows me to earn the higher rate of royalty (70%). However that does mean I'm paying for electronic transfer at 10p per Mb. As I've 25 full colour photos and numerous tables that I've had to save as pictures as well, that cuts down my profit by some 30p per sale.

I'd wondered about using Amazon coupons for an initial release sale but that seems to be linked to physical sales through Amazon.com rather than Kindle sales. I could have enrolled in Kindle Select to access a countdown deal but in the end realised I can simply change the price myself so I've taken the price down to the absolute minimum across the UK, Europe and US. It will take effect by Monday which is when I have my free promotion on 10 Plumbing Tips!

I can always raise the price later if I want. You change it in KDP and within a day it has updated. The control over your product is amazing!

Once you've read either of the books, do leave a review on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment