Tuesday, 4 November 2014

100 Crazy Ideas to Fix the Economy - an introduction

Since 2003 I’ve been deliberately and methodically trying to improve my finances. I’ve had a few head slapping failures but over the course of the last decade I’ve doubled my income twice and built a foundation of skills and experience that make getting future employment more likely.

Over the same time period I’ve observed – with increasing concern – successive Governments steer Britain ever closer to bankruptcy.

All the talk by our politicians about fixing the economy, about the need for austerity, appears to have been a lie with no intention of really dealing with the root problems our country faces. Instead, the rich have gotten richer while the poor have been robbed of the little they possess.

What are the root problems our country faces? I suspect if you ask ten different people you may get ten different answers. Just for the record here are my top ten:
  1. Debt
  2. The payment of interest on that debt
  3. Lack of jobs
  4. Lack of jobs that pay a living wage
  5. Lack of democracy
  6. Lack of accountability by politicians to the people
  7. Over government (Too many laws and too much meddling by politicians)
  8. Lack of accountability by those in charge of companies
  9. Loss of sovereignty
  10. Social injustice and inequality
There are additional problems that you and I may agree need dealing with, but the ten above are, I hope, a fair starting point.

I recognise that you and I may disagree on how to go about tackling the problems we face. This is good and to be expected. I intend this list of 100 crazy ideas to be a discussion starter. I believe that all of us are needed to figure out how to tackle the very great problems we face and ultimately resolve them.

Also for the record, I believe that politicians are the last people to trust with sorting out every last problem in society.

At times the problems facing Britain seem so great that I despair and yet I believe that God has given us a tremendous capacity to recover from the edge of the abyss and rise to triumph.

This short book – published for free over the next six months through this blog – is my attempt to set out some ideas that I don’t see our Government trying in any real way. Ideas that could transform lives. Ideas to set families free from debt. Ideas to raise families out of dependency on welfare and ultimately save our national economy.

Some of these ideas are indeed crazy. Yet some of the best ideas in history were mocked until it was demonstrated they worked. I’ve found in my own life that I have needed to take risks and abandon what others considered to be a safe course of action to improve my life.

I am publishing these 100 crazy ideas in the hope that I’ll begin a discussion that will lead to positive change in our country. In the hope that we the people will together make this happen. That we will force an often unwilling government to take the action that we demand. And, if nothing else, that others will at least enjoy reading some of my crazier ideas.


Do post your own crazy ideas or feedback on mine in the comments below and sign up to my mailing list below to be notified of future posts.

Why should my crazy ideas have any relevance to the economy? I'm the author of The Great Scottish Land Grab, a novel that imagines a fairer future for Scotland where the poor are empowered to change their destiny. I'm director of my own limited company: Goal 31 Ltd and I've over seven years experience working for government and financial organisations.

I am making my 100 crazy ideas freely available. It seems unjust to propose ideas to fix the economy and then prevent people from freely reading those ideas. 100 Crazy Ideas to Fix the Economy will be published once the craziness is complete.

I can be found on Twitter: @my100goals or on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/my100goals. There's a short bio here.


Powered byEMF Online Form Builder

No comments:

Post a Comment