Wednesday, 19 November 2014

Crazy Idea 11 - Get everyone to actively propose ways the Government could raise revenue


There are several assumptions behind this crazy idea.

That we actually trust the government to wisely use any extra revenue we raise to help ALL people, not just the ultra rich. I don’t trust the government one iota. But I’ve a few crazy ideas scheduled that could resolve that...

Also that we are happy with the amount of money the government currently spends. I’m not. I would vote for less war, less money spent on funding conflict and nuclear defence. I’m not totally against Trident but I get the view that spending billions on missiles that can kill hundreds of thousands of people is not something we probably need.

If Russia or that other evil superpower – the USA – was to declare war on us, then our paltry collection of submarines would do us a fat lot of good. See that smear on the map? That used to be the UK...

But war and defence are only two ways the government currently wastes the revenue they force us to pay them. MPs expenses, MPs salaries... I’m getting ahead of myself.

I would revolutionise how government spends our money. If my crazy ideas were implemented, if the poor were enabled to work and earn a good wage, if people had more power than big business then I wouldn’t object to the current high level of taxation we have.

So, what would it take for you to be happy paying tax?

And if you were happy with allowing the government to spend our money on our behalf, could you think of any ways to generate enough money that our country wasn’t in debt, that we could actually balance our books?

If everyone in the country was involved in the debate, even if for a couple of hours a week we were all sharing and discussing ideas instead of spending all our time watching I’m a Celebrity Get me Out of Here or Formula One or Football or Game of Thrones... (replace with your favourite timewaster...) then could we collectively produce some solutions that would work?

Just thinking aloud here. What do you think?


Do post your own crazy ideas or feedback on mine in the comments below and sign up to my mailing list below to be notified of future posts.

Why should my crazy ideas have any relevance to the economy? I'm the author of The Great Scottish Land Grab, a novel that imagines a fairer future for Scotland where the poor are empowered to change their destiny. I'm director of my own limited company: Goal 31 Ltd and I've over seven years experience working for government and financial organisations. Also, just like you, I'm a taxpayer and for some crazy reason I think that entitles us to have an opinion and for that opinion to be acted on by the government.

As I wrote at the start, I am making my 100 crazy ideas freely available. It seems unjust to propose ideas to fix the economy and then prevent people from freely reading those ideas. 100 Crazy Ideas to Fix the Economy will be published once the craziness is complete.

I can be found on Twitter: @my100goals or on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/my100goals. There's a short bio here.


Powered byEMF Online Form Builder

No comments:

Post a Comment