Tuesday, 11 November 2014

Crazy Idea 5 - Tax everyone more

This certainly isn’t going to make me popular but I can sympathise with the rich getting mighty annoyed if they are the only ones suffering the loss of their wealth.

Yesterday I proposed forcibly removing a third of the wealth of the rich to eliminate the National Debt. The fact is that a large portion of our National Debt has been incurred providing for the poor and middle classes. Whether it is pensions or the National Health Service or one of the myriad of benefits the Government provides, everyone in this country has contributed to the debt we now have.

Since we all have benefitted from the money taken on as debt, it’s reasonable we should all take part in dealing with it.

Later on I’m going to propose some crazy ideas to enable the poorest in society to actually be able to afford to pay more tax but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

Call me crazy but I suspect many people would be willing to pay more tax if it was universally seen as just; actually used to reduce our national debt; actually used to enable the poorest to thrive through work rather than receiving benefits.

If the tax was tapered so that the poorest paid the least and the rich paid the most in accordance with everyone’s ability to pay, it would hurt, it would be resented but it might just also be accepted.

Crazy idea number five: Tax everyone more.

Do post your own ideas or feedback on my crazy ideas in the comments below each post.

As I wrote last week, I am making my 100 crazy ideas freely available. It seems unjust to propose ideas to fix the economy and then prevent people from freely reading those ideas. I will publish the full series once complete but this blog will remain.

I can be found on Twitter: @my100goals or on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/my100goals. There's a short bio here. You can sign up to my mailing list below to be notified of future posts:

Powered byEMF Online Form Builder

No comments:

Post a Comment