Wednesday, 12 November 2014

Crazy Idea 6 - Give people a choice how to pay their taxes

If they’ve read this, right now HMRC (or their puppet masters) are probably contacting a hitman to wipe me off the face of the earth. Give people a choice about paying tax? He’s a madman!

Here’s the thing? Why is it the Government expects the poorest in society to pay VAT? What about Fuel Tax? Insurance Tax?

Do the poor pay these taxes? You bet they do. Not always directly but they are paying indirectly and often are further marginalised because they cannot afford things those of us who are richer take for granted – like insurance.

What if we created a new tax – just to be used to pay off the national debt? Allow people the choice of how to pay – either in cash or in community service. This would enable the poorest in society to fully contribute to public life while preventing them from being destroyed by an unjust tax.

Contribution by community service may not directly pay off the national debt but would benefit everyone in society. This leads me to a sneaky offshoot crazy idea which I'll publish tomorrow...

Do post your own ideas or feedback on my crazy ideas in the comments below each post.

As I wrote last week, I am making my 100 crazy ideas freely available. It seems unjust to propose ideas to fix the economy and then prevent people from freely reading those ideas. I will publish the full series once complete but this blog will remain.

I can be found on Twitter: @my100goals or on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/my100goals. There's a short bio here. You can sign up to my mailing list below to be notified of future posts:


Powered byEMF Online Form Builder


No comments:

Post a Comment