Friday, 14 November 2014

Crazy Idea 8 - Get everyone who is unemployed working on ways to provide full employment

Unemployment in the UK has in theory been falling over the last year but the reality is that people are being forced to accept contracts that provide no job security and even worse, no guarantee of income.

Zero Hours Contracts are trumpeted by the Government and some big businesses as a solution to unemployment. For anyone who has a family to provide for or regular bills to pay they are a cruel form of punishment.

People in work need a regular income, especially the lower paid. In 2010 I was working as an IT contractor on a decent daily rate. The recession reached its lowest point for the IT market and I was out of work for over five months.

We were only able to survive as a family because I’d earned enough over the previous year that we had been able to start saving. Five months later our savings were gone but we had survived long enough that I had been able to secure a new contract.

Someone on minimum wage is unable to save enough to have a buffer when they’re told there is no work.

Small scale, short term solutions to unemployment are sticking plasters on a gaping chasm in the UK. We need radical, large, huge solutions that will enable us to create jobs for everyone who needs them.

What if we had 2.5 million people actively proposing ways for employment to be created?

Is it conceivable that some really radically great ideas could result that would end mass unemployment?

Or is this just another crazy idea?

Do post your own ideas or feedback on my crazy ideas in the comments below each post.

As I wrote last week, I am making my 100 crazy ideas freely available. It seems unjust to propose ideas to fix the economy and then prevent people from freely reading those ideas. I will publish the full series once complete but this blog will remain.

I can be found on Twitter: @my100goals or on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/my100goals. There's a short bio here. You can sign up to my mailing list below to be notified of future posts:


Powered byEMF Online Form Builder

No comments:

Post a Comment