Thursday, 4 December 2014

Crazy Idea 19 - We need a National Debate!

If we are to fix the economy we need to tackle it together. The economy affects every single one of us, whether we are wealthy or poor.

A country with a failing economy is a place where crime will rise, where social unrest will increase, where businesses will be more likely to fail.

Since the Conservative/Liberal Coalition took power in the UK in 2010 they have dictated to us how they will fix the economy. Their solution: Austerity.

The reality? The Coalition has mostly continued the previous Labour government’s spending plans, doubling National Debt while cutting spending on those who need it the most.

Did they ask you what you want them to spend money on? Did they ask you what they should cut?

They certainly didn’t ask me.

This blog series is my attempt to answer the question the Coalition should have asked each one of us: how should we fix the economy?

My latest crazy idea? Hold a National Debate on how to fix the economy. I’ll return to this crazy idea over the coming weeks.

I proposed one way of holding a national debate in my novel: The Great Scottish Land Grab – Cafe Politics.

The idea there was to hold local discussions where small groups of people could propose suggestions and debate the pros and cons and ultimately vote on whether to implement the suggestions.

As an experiment I also bought the domain: http://cafepolitics.net/ I’ve set up a discussion forum there and will be posting my ideas for Fixing the Economy. Could this be a forum for an online National Debate? Join the forum and have your say.



Do post your own crazy ideas or feedback on mine in the comments below and sign up to my mailing list below to be notified of future posts.

Why should my crazy ideas have any relevance to the economy? I'm the author of The Great Scottish Land Grab, a novel that imagines a fairer future for Scotland where the poor are empowered to change their destiny. I'm director of my own limited company: Goal 31 Ltd and I've over seven years experience working for government and financial organisations. Also, just like you, I'm a taxpayer and for some crazy reason I think that entitles us to have an opinion and for that opinion to be acted on by the government.

As I wrote at the start, I am making my 100 crazy ideas freely available. It seems unjust to propose ideas to fix the economy and then prevent people from freely reading those ideas. 100 Crazy Ideas to Fix the Economy will be published once the craziness is complete.

I can be found on Twitter: @my100goals or on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/my100goals. There's a short bio here.


Powered byEMF Online Form Builder

No comments:

Post a Comment